Question about Amana Refrigerators
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Geezer, sounds like a defrost issue. I usually find the bi-metal to be the culprit on this model. Check out the pic. You will have to remove the back panel in the freezer and defrost the evaporator. Remove the ice maker if there is one. The back cover has 4 quarter inch screws. remove those. The air vent has 2 plastic clips one each side and one on the bottom, push in and pull the grill off. The thermistor cover has a slot for a flat blade screw driver,push in and pull the cover off. The thermistor will now slide behind the back panel. Check the bi-metal for buldging. As long as the evaporator fan is working, it's probably a defrost problem.
Posted on Jul 16, 2007
SOURCE: cold freezer/warm refrigerator
Same problem with Frigidaire Gallery model#GLRT182SAW5 (dated 2002 on back of case)
Vents were blocked with ice. Vents (from top compartment to lower) located behind light. You can check by poking a chopstick up the (2) holes; be careful not to hit fan blades.
- took freezer coil cover off in back; checked that defrost heater element was working (marked and rotated the timer in the hole next to light); checked that fan working. Found ice in the vents and defrost drip area. Got it out with hair dryer.
- cleaned compressor coils in back (check fan is rotating; also tweaked some of the compressor tubing bends to make them more smooth - read somewhere about a manufacturing defect ...); blew out drip tube from defroster while down there.
- Set the freezer control to WARM and the refrig control to COLD (THIS SHOULD IMPROVE AIR FLOW FROM TOP TO BOTTOM).
- Put thermometers in top and bottom. Checked that refrigerator cycles (not running continuously). Checked that cold air is coming down from (2) vents behind light.
OK: so far, so good. Lower compartment is 40 or under. Top is under 18.
CONCLUSION: Suspect marginal design. Had problems with another similar model where defroster ice doesn't drain correctly, pools and refreezes. Leading to blocked vents as well as blocked defroster drain and similar problem including dripping water from top to bottom and warm bottom.
MAYBE KEEPING THE FREEZER CONTROL AT WARM GETS AROUND THE PROBLEM?? ANYWAY, ITS WORKING FOR ME FOR NOW !!
Posted on Dec 13, 2008
SOURCE: anama bottom freezer
Chances are if they are getting cool -
1) the evaporator fan in the freezer is not running
2) Defrost heater has failed
3) Defrost sensor has failed
4) Defrost timer/refrigerator control has failed.
Check for ice build-up on the back wall of the freezer. If there is ice, unplug or turn the unit off for 6-8 hours with the doors open (put any food in a cooler with ice to maintain). Note water may come out of the refrigerator/freezer.
Plug the unit back in or turn it back on, close the doors, and check temperature after a couple of hours of operation. If all OK, you will need to have the above tested, or, if you know how to use a multimeter and can read a schematic/wiring diagram, I can instruct you on how to check the above.
Posted on Jan 16, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 14, 2011 | Amana ABB1927DE Bottom Freezer...
Jul 04, 2011 | Amana ARB1905C Bottom Freezer Refrigerator
Jan 30, 2011 | Amana ARSE66MB Side by Side Refrigerator
Nov 28, 2010 | Amana AFB2534DE Bottom Freezer French Door...
Apr 20, 2017 | Amana ARB1917CSR Bottom Freezer...
Mar 03, 2010 | Amana ABB1927DE Bottom Freezer...
Mar 16, 2009 | Amana ABB1927DE Bottom Freezer...
Jan 20, 2009 | Amana Easy Reach AFD2535DE Bottom Freezer...
Apr 28, 2008 | Amana ARB2517CC / ARB2517CB / ARB2517CW...
46 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: